In fact, much of the lake front, including Grant Park, is also built on landfill.
For the early part of the nineteenth century, much of the lake front near downtown was occupied by railroads and industry. In 1852, the Illinois Central Railroad built tracks offshore to access the river from the south, which restricted flow from the lake and resulted in blackwater. Debris from the fire was used to fill in this basin. Later, the land was extended yet farther to nearly half a mile east of where the shore had been when settlers first arrived.