According to the Examiner, below is the recipe for the original brownie:
1 lb. 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
1 lb. butter
1. lb. 8 oz. granulated sugar
8 oz. cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 lb. crushed walnuts
1 cup water
1 cup apricot preserves
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- Melt chocolate with butter in a double boiler.
- Mix sugar, flour, baking power in a bowl
- Mix chocolate/butter combo with dry ingredients for 4 to 5 minutes
- Mix in eggs
- Pour batter into a 9 x12 inch baking pan. Sprinkle and press walnuts on top.
- Bake in oven at 300 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes
- Brownie will be ready when edges are crispy but middle is still gooey.
- Remove tray from oven and allow brownie to cool for about 30 minutes.
- While brownie cools mix water, preserves and gelatin in a saucepan and let mixture boil for two minutes.
- Pour hot glaze over cool brownies.
- Place in freezer for 3-4 hours then cut into portions.