The building at 500 N LaSalle pulled cable cars from The Loop under the Chicago River

Rate this fact:

The powerhouse, built in 1888 for roughly $35,000 by the North Chicago Street Railroad, was in operation until 1906.

It was moved seventeen feet west of its original location when LaSalle St was widened in 1929. Since then, the building has been an auto repair shop, a seafood restaurant, Michael Jordan's restaurant, and, until recently, LaSalle Power Co. As of this writing, it is under construction to house Gino's East. (It is a Chicago Landmark, so it will be mostly preserved.)